Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mapping via Google....

What? Ask for directions or help when lost? No way, not me. Being male, I just drive...... and drive and drive.....

I do know about mapquest, yahoo and google maps. I do use them from time to time. I do find myself using my Droid phone / google maps to pinpoint where I am trying to find. Maybe because it allows me to use my new toy.

So I routed a trip the wife and I took via the motorcycle to our camper in Glendale Springs, NC. Since we were going by bike, I wanted to go the long way. Naturally we went north to the Blue Ridge Parkway and then West.


View Larger Map

Working with Google maps was okay. Putting in the destination points was easy and most modifications to the route were too. As for uploading photos of sites that were on the way, this was not as smooth as I was hoping it would be. It was easy to upload a picture on a given area if the area already had a picture "folder" already there. If there wasn't any pictures of a given area, then I couldn't get to the point where I could upload one. Maybe it was just me, naturally not wanting to "ask" for directions on how to do it.

With my Droid phone (Verizon wireless commercial goes here....), GPS coordinates are already incorporated into the Google maps. Perfect because it allows you to find anything you want or need. Using an exact location pinpointed by GPS, I can locate "toy" stores, banks so I can get money to pay for the toy or a specific place to eat. What a perfect life.

4 comments:

  1. I know this is like totally off the subject and you may have told us already but what kind of bike do you have?

    I don't ride but think it's cool you and your wife share that enjoyment.

    The pictures I've seen of the Blue Ridge Parkway are scenic and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 bikes.... one is a 06' Honda Shadow Aero (wife rides on the back of this one) and the other is an 2000 Yamaha 1100 custom (single seater). Would really love to build a bike, but I would have to get rid of one of them.... and it is so tough to decide.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fun trip! The more I hear about people who have Droids, the more I want one- they sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Droid is good and bad..... the only thing that I really don't like is the keyboard. Flat keys on the slide out keyboard and the vertical on-screen keyboard is too small. The horizontal one is fine. Other than that it's a great phone.

    ReplyDelete